Your company is growing. You’re contemplating hiring a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to protect your technology, improve or automate processes and support your business goals. But often, these are fleeting thoughts because the salary, benefits and training costs can approach over $300,000 a year. According to a report by Deloitte, only 17% of SMBs have CTOs. So, whose left making the technology decisions? 70% are made by the owner, who has many other priorities when it comes to running their business.
Another study by Google, found that 90% of SMBs weren’t taking full advantage of today’s digital tools because of a lack of IT direction.
Given this, what’s a business owner to do? Hire a Virtual CTO (vCTO), of course! This person functions as your staff member but is available at a fraction an in-house cost.
Here are the key things a vCTO can accomplish for you, whether your organization is a good fit and the benefits of hiring one for your business.
This person gives you strategic and pragmatic advice about moving your business forward. They will spend most of their time off-site but will come to your company for meetings and/or be onsite one-two days per week.
Depending on the size of your organization and its needs, this person can complete many tasks including:
· Create and manage the technology budget
· Make recommendations on the purchase of and retirement of certain computer equipment
· Enforce a practice that keeps operating systems and software is up to date
· Develop IT policies
· Evaluate physical and cybersecurity procedures
· Set up a help desk with technicians to answer questions and repair equipment
· Identify disaster recovery options
The vCTO should provide your organization with the best insight on ways your organization can or is using technology for a competitive advantage.
· A small company that’s growing
· Don’t have the budget for a full-time person
· Using technology already but want an expert to manage it
1. Objective recommendations. Because the vCTO has worked with many small to mid-sized businesses, they know what solutions work and which ones don’t. They also have company resources for collaboration on your issues. You will receive a vetted technology roadmap you can implement immediately.
2. Cost efficiency. According to Glassdoor, an experienced CTO makes $233,000 per year, not include benefits, bonuses and training. The cost of a vCTO is around $6,000 per month which is a cost savings of over 75 percent per year!
3. No training required. You will have at your disposal an experienced, talented person that can keep your organization on the right technology path. All education and certificates are handled within the outsourcing company, at no cost to you.
We work hard to help our clients develop cohesive and forward-thinking technology initiatives. Our Virtual CTO offering provides insight and recommendations for the technology side of your business, allowing you to concentrate on the core components that allow your company to grow. We’d love to have a conversation with you about your current and future technology needs. Please give us a call at 516.876.8200 today!
The ProActive Technology Group
14 Plaza Rd
Greenvale, NY 11548